27 April 2014

Ozgur's Story - Born at 26 weeks

Welcome to the world little Ozgur.  Born at just 26 weeks, here is his story as told by his brave mum, Natalie...

"I was 22 weeks and 5 days when I admitted myself to Westmead as I had bleeding and cramping the night before. I didn't think too much of it but after my husband pressured me to ring the doctors, I thought better to be safe than sorry.

They told me to go to the birthing unit. After I got there, I was so convinced that its probably just something that happens during pregnancy that I apologised to the midwife for "wasting public money and time".

The midwife tested my urine and found blood. I then waited for the obstetrician on that shift to assess me. The obstetrician had a look with a speculum and contacted the registrar, who also had a look. They found that not only was I dialated 3cm but my "waters" were bulging. I was quickly taken down for a scan and felt contractions as everything was happening and was told that even if the baby was born now there wouldn't be any "viability" of life before at least the 23/24 week mark.

I think going through all these emotions kept me strong that I managed to get to 24 weeks. That's when I was given steroid shots and told that perhaps now the baby has "viability" and now the hospital is obligated to revive. With this determination I got to 25 weeks and eventually my waters broke at 25 weeks and 6 days. My little man was born at 26 weeks exactly.

The complication I had was chorioamnioitis (1). An infection in the uterine area usually caused by an underlying infection such as a UTI.

Looking back at the ordeal we went through I maybe could have prevented this from happening if I wasn't such a believer of natural remedies vs medication.

My little boy's name is Ozgur. Pronounced like Oscar but with a G. He was born 695 grams and 31cm in length. He is my little angel.

It has been 3 weeks since his birth and although we are going through ups and downs, he is still my little miracle and love him to bits.

Thank you to Dream a Little Dream for their support during this journey."


(1) Chorioamnionitis is an inflammation of the fetal membranes (amnion and chorion) due to a bacterial infection. It typically results from bacteria ascending into the uterus from the vagina and is most often associated with prolonged labor. The risk of developing chorioamnionitis increases with each vaginal examination that is performed in the final month of pregnancy, including during labor.

Thank you so much for sharing Ozgur's journey with us so far.  We can not wait to see him grow stronger and stronger each day and we wish you all the best for the remainder of Ozgur's journey.

Love The Dream A Little Dream Team x


No comments:

Post a Comment